Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Refined Sugar-Free) – as featured on the TODAY Show!
The best chocolate chip chickpea blondies…
My primarily goal when I develop recipes is to make sure that whatever I’m creating doesn’t necessarily taste healthy.
I find that healthy food can sometimes get a bad rap. People automatically default to thinking of lettuce. Or celery. Or green juice.
And while I do truly love my veggies, I also know that health can mean so many different things – especially when it comes to your dessert.
I’m into a more realistic version of health, one in which you can have your cake (or tahini brownies. or almond butter blondies. or banana muffin tops) and eat it too. So I like to focus on using real, natural ingredients that you can pronounce and aren’t sketched about eating.
Enter truly one of my favorite recipes that I’ve created: Chocolate Chip Blondies with a secret ingredient….
Now don’t get all freaked out on me. I swear these don’t taste like hummus, in fact – if you didn’t know there were chickpeas in here, you would have NO idea. The chickpeas really just lend an amazing texture to these blondies – dense without being heavy, and I hate to say it…but moist. In a good way.
I made these Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies with Savannah on the TODAY Show in April, and I’m pretty sure I fooled my tasters: Hoda, Craig, and Carson!
These chickpea blondies are also vegan, gluten-free, and have no refined sugar. It’s also the easiest thing to make. All you do is pour all of your ingredients into a food processor and process it up. But of course, don’t tell your friends it’s that easy. Let them think you slaved away for hours to conjure up these treats.
So many of you have made this recipe already and I thank you for sharing with me on Instagram. It seriously makes my day!
If you do make it, continue to tag me @DADAEATS or send me a DM so I can see your creations!
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed well
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter best at room temperature
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 TBSP blanched almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips you can also used chopped up pieces of your favorite chocolate bar!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease an 8x8 pan with coconut oil.
- Drain can of chickpeas, and rinse them well under cold water for 1 minute.
- Add rinsed chickpeas, almond butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a food processor and process until batter is completely smooth. Essentially, add all ingredients into the processor except for the chocolate chips!
- Unplug your processor and pour in chocolate chips, gently folding them into the batter.
- Transfer batter to the greased 8x8 baking pan and spread evenly.
- Press additional chocolate chips on top of batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until knife inserted comes out clean and edges are golden brown. Be careful not to over-bake as this will dry the blondies out. The batter should look slightly under-baked, but will firm up after cooling. Cool for at least 25 minutes before slicing and serving!